So the holidays came and went and they were wonderful and filled with family, love, relaxation… and lots of champagne… and chocolate… and not-so-good-for-me foods! And just like I wrote about in my last post about the 80/20 rule, that’s ok! I don’t feel guilty or upset with myself for those three mimosas Christmas morning or that piece of chocolate pie New Years Day. But yes, I was off of my normal nutrition game and wasn’t feeling my best. I was bloated, my energy had dropped and my guts just didn’t feel so great after so much junk. So I decided to kick off 2017 with a cleanse… the 3 Day Refresh!
First let’s talk about the word “cleanse”… it’s really not my preferred term to use when I talk about the 3 Day Refresh program. When I think of “cleanse” I think of only liquids, running to the bathroom constantly, and feeling run down and deprived. Sure, a juice cleanse could help you drop some quick pounds, but it’s not sustainable, it’s not teaching your body how to properly fuel and it’s certainly not teaching your mind how to maintain a healthy lifestyle. So I appreciate the fact that Beachbody named this program the 3 Day Refresh rather than the 3 Day Cleanse, because that’s exactly what it does… it refreshes your body from the inside out!
Let me break my review down into what the 3 Day Refresh entails (meals, snacks, etc) and then my pros and cons.
What is it??
The 3 Day Refresh consists of breakfast, fiber-sweep, lunch, a snack and dinner:
Breakfast – Shakeology with a serving of fruit. I always get my kit with the chocolate vegan Shakeology to keep it plant-based for the full three days. I blend my chocolate Shakeo with half a banana, water and ice to make a normal “muddy buddy” shake for breakfast all three days. Why switch it up when you know what you like?? The shake keeps me satisfied and it’s what I’m used to for breakfast so no big change!
Mid-morning tea – By about day two, you’re probably going to be hungry by mid-morning (sometimes on day one, the food from the day before will keep you satisfied until lunch, but that usually stops by day two)… so I usually have a big hot cup of tea around 9:30 or 10.
Fiber Sweep – About an hour after my mid-morning tea I drink my “Fiber Sweep” drink. I told y’all before, this Refresh is NOT about sending you to the bathroom!! I have never had ANY adverse effects from the Fiber Sweep drink, but everyone is different. This drink is meant to help “keep things regular” and move your guts along. The drink itself is essentially flax and gets super thick the longer you let it sit in the water, so make sure to drink this one quickly! I actually really enjoy the taste of the Fiber Sweep drink, it tastes like a sweet lemonade!
Lunch – My afternoon meal consists of a Vanilla Fresh shake (similar to Shakeology, but a bit thicker and higher in calories), a serving of veggies, a serving of fruit and a serving of healthy fats! For my veggie serving, I usually do either a cup of mushrooms or a cup of cucumbers. My fruit serving is either half a grapefruit or half an apple. And for healthy fats I alternate between two tablespoons of organic hummus or two tablespoons of mashed avocado! It may not sound like a lot of food… but I actually have trouble eating it all sometimes! I think it’s because the shake is so thick (like a vanilla milkshake!) and dense so it will fill me up very quickly.
Afternoon Snack – At least an hour and a half after my lunch, I have a snack which consists of a serving of veggies and a serving of healthy fats. For veggies I mix it up and do either baby carrots, sugar snap peas, mushrooms, or cucumbers and for healthy fats I do the opposite of whatever I have for lunch (so if I did avocado for lunch, it’s hummus for snack!) The main thing is to time this afternoon snack so that you’re not super hungry by 4:00. I like to try and eat a bit of a later lunch and then try and push my snack to about 2:30 or 3.
Dinner – My favorite thing about the 3 Day Refresh is that dinner is a legit dinner! I’ve NEVER been hungry after dinner because holy cow it really is a lot of food. Dinner is any of the recipes from the program guide and usually contains lots of veggies and some healthy fats. I really love steamed vegetables so this round of the Refresh I chose these three dinners: steamed asparagus with olive oil and slivered almonds, steamed mixed vegetables with coconut oil and sea salt, and stir fry veggies with fresh ginger and olive oil. All three give you big portions and leave you very full AND you also add on another Vanilla Fresh shake for dinner as well (and a cup of organic veggie broth if you’d like)! I like to add in some pumpkin pie spice to my shake at dinner which is a really nice way to balance the salty of the veggies and the sweet of the shake.
Pros and Cons of the 3 Day Refresh:
- Results!! Both times I’ve completed the 3 Day Refresh I have had results not just in my body measurements and weight but in the way I feel and think about food. Each time I complete it, it resets my mindset for nutrition and puts me back on track with my eating and meal plan! This time around I lost a total of 1.2 pounds and 2 inches just in my waist!
- It’s not a traditional “cleanse”. You won’t be drinking only water and juice, you’re eating real, solid foods and focusing on actual nutrition rather than starvation. Will you be hungry? Probably. You’re reducing your overall calorie intake so it will most likely be an adjustment. But unlike other cleanses, you’re going to be eating real food to fuel you during the three days!
- It’s ONLY three days!! Unlike the Ultimate Reset or Whole 30 (both amazing programs, but longer than 3 weeks), the 3 Day Refresh is only three days total. You make the commitment, stick with it for three days, and I promise you’ll get results either mentally (there’s just something amazing about committing to and finishing an entire program), physically, or both!
- No adverse reactions. Now keep in mind, I’m speaking from my OWN experience, so I cannot guarantee that you won’t have some GI differences. But for me personally, I’ve completed the Refresh twice and even with the Fiber Sweep and lots of veggies, I never had any trouble with my tummy!
- You will most likely be hungry. I’m not going to lie to you and say you’ll be super full and satisfied the entire time! You are reducing your calorie intake and also eating much more nutrient dense foods rather than junk so you’re body is going to notice.
- You really should not workout on the 3 Day Refresh. You’re lowering your calorie intake and you’re fueling your body with foods that it may not be used to. With making a drastic change in your nutrition, your body may be working overtime so it’s best not to do any kind of intense workouts. I like to do a little yoga each day, but that’s about it!
Overall, this program is fantastic and hands down one of my favorites! I use it when I need a kick start for nutrition, usually before beginning a new program, before a vacation, or after a particularly indulgent time! Three days and you’ll be on a great start to not only resetting your digestion, but resetting how you think about food in general! Want to give it a go? Email me at email@example.com and I’d love to help you get started!